Wednesday, March 4, 2009

You'd better watch out...

Just a quick note to report that my favourite radio in Paris, TSF Jazz, was playing a jazz version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town today (while I was making dinner, in fact).

I don't know what to think of this. As some of you may know, I take Christmas music very seriously and adhere to strict rules regarding its use and consumption: it must begin after Thanksgiving dinner, be played exclusively over the next six weeks, and stop when the tree is being taken down on or on the Epiphany, whichever is later. Santa Claus, being broadcast on national radio, during Lent, is an abomination.

I can reach three reasonable conclusions about this:
1. The radio station staff are uninformed about the rules regarding Christmas music.
2. The radio station staff do not realise that it is a song about Christmas.
3. The song is a kind of code message, signalling some kind of invasion/underground political event/alien attack.

We now return to our previously scheduled broadcast of Little Peter Cottontail.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Accidental Parisian,
    I love this story! Even in Tokyo they know that Christmas music is only to be played up until December 25 (an early end by your standards, but logical and appropriate nonetheless). Then Christmas -- for the Japanese primarily a celebration of shopping and romance with carols and lights thrown in -- disappears literally overnight, not to be heard from again until the following November. One would expect more propriety from the French...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! (As I am writing this blog anonymously, please address me as Accidental Parisian, even if you know my name in real life).